Fairbury Public Library was built in 1909 with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. The library is located at 7th and F Streets. The original Carnegie library is one of 69 Carnegie libraries in the state of Nebraska. This historic building now houses the children’s department of the library. In 1988 a new addition was completed, which houses the adult department of the library, public access computers, genealogy section, library director’s office, meeting room area, copy machine and microfilm reader. The library is a repository for genealogical information for Jefferson County.